Skip to main content

Final Project Artist Statement

Poems included:

When it's not even who you want(ed) it to be
The joke's on you babe
Living with the hope that careful placement
Will make paths cross in fate or circumstance
Does it work?
Yes love, do you believe in either?
Because you always seem disappointed


A child can only be told so many times
That you don't believe in them
or that you don't think they are capable
Before they crack
or decide that your opinion no longer matters


I just want to see you.
Anywhere.


How can you expect
Me to be perfect
If you are the person
Who showed me imperfection
In the first place


Minimizing our differences only hurts
Those who are minimized
because of difference.


My God has a sense of humor
And life is his performance art.



Inspirations:

Jenny Holzer's "Projections" and "Painted Signs"
Chris Marker's "La Jetée"


Statement:

I am fascinated by how words can challenge physical space limits in the 2D digital world.  I wanted my language to encompass space through the images that they are made visible by and the process through which they are made accessible.  I formed the words out of photographs that I've taken over the past year, with each new line able to access by zooming in for a close up within its proceeding line.  Making the reader put in effort to view the piece in full calls for recognition of the distribution of labor in the relationship between maker and spectator and reproduces the anxiety of potential incompletion that I experience in the process of making.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Google came, Google saw, Google conquered

I remember using Google for the first time in second grade.  It was during one of our keyboarding classes, which first taught me how to experience anxiety, where the entire class would get walked down to the computer lab and practice using an assigned computer for an hour or so.  The day we learned about Google we were tasked with exploring what we could find with the keyword "skunk" in various search engines.  That initial search might not have provided much information to the corporation about what my six-year-old self wanted and who I was as a consumer, but I can believe that since then, all that I have learned from and input into the system has been monitored and used to target me as a consumer. Google is valuable because digital products cost less to produce and maintain than physical products, and this is a product that virtually everyone depends on to find answers.  Google only knows that which is added to its vast digital archive.  You only know what Google is progr

This is a Game

This is a Game Life is but a dream Welcome to the world! You have just been born. Your parents are so happy to have you as their child. They stamp your feet on a birth certificate and give you a name. What do you do? [[cry]] [[giggle]] [[open your eyes]] Good choice! You are but a fresh child after all. And better get your practice in now because there is a lot of crying to come in your future! Your parents take you home after a couple of days in the hospital. [[Whoa, I was just starting to get comfortable in there!]] [[About time! I'm ready for something new.]] Wow look at that adorable smile! Your parents can't get enough of your laugh, so they take a picture. What do they do with the picture? [[Share it on Facebook]] [[Nothing.]] Slow down there bud! One step at a time, someone is trying to grow up fast! Your eyes won't open because you were literally just born. [[Ok cool, got it. Now I cry]] [[Ok cool, got it. Now I giggle]] Well Momma knows best, because