Skip to main content

Google came, Google saw, Google conquered

I remember using Google for the first time in second grade.  It was during one of our keyboarding classes, which first taught me how to experience anxiety, where the entire class would get walked down to the computer lab and practice using an assigned computer for an hour or so.  The day we learned about Google we were tasked with exploring what we could find with the keyword "skunk" in various search engines.  That initial search might not have provided much information to the corporation about what my six-year-old self wanted and who I was as a consumer, but I can believe that since then, all that I have learned from and input into the system has been monitored and used to target me as a consumer.

Google is valuable because digital products cost less to produce and maintain than physical products, and this is a product that virtually everyone depends on to find answers.  Google only knows that which is added to its vast digital archive.  You only know what Google is programmed to tell you.

Is data utilized solely to propel the ambitions of capitalism? And if so, can capitalism exist as a benefit for the people it manipulates and exploits?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Project Proposal

It wasn't until I took some space that I realized how crushed and suffocated I feel/have felt.  While in tears on the plane back to my reality I wrote a few poems that found me.  I want to make a piece using this writing that attempts to visualize my internalized stressors.  We'll see how this goes! Don't worry, I'm fine.